Friday, August 21, 2009

More DAD news

Today my dad was admitted to the hospital. He is going to be having surgery on Monday. Finally, things are going forward w/ this! Such a relief for him...he is more than ready to have this behind him. As are we too :) I do not know exactly why he was admitted today (2 days before his surgery). Possibly for the Dr.'s to try and get his nutrient levels up w/ 24 hr. TPN (as opposed to 8 hr. TPN at home). Maybe to run some last minute tests. Who knows! Dr. T said he is going to go in and repair the fistula in my dad's small intestine. Cut out the mass in his colon and do a colonoscopy during the surgery to see if there is any good tissue left in his colon. If there is enough, he will re-sect it. If not, he will remove all of his colon and my dad will have a colostomy for the rest of his life. Hopefully this is the worse case scenario!!! Dr. T will also remove as many lymph nodes as possible. As of last Cat Scan, done back in July, the cancer did not spread to his liver or lungs. Hopefully(again) this is still the case. The Dr.s do not really know what they are going to find in there. Because of the abscess he had initially and since they couldn't do a colonoscopy because the mass was too big. They have nothing to go by. Maybe they will do an MRI or something to give them a better idea of what they are going to find?! Either way, I am just so happy this is going to be out of the way. What a long awaited surgery.

My dad has been quite a trooper through all of this. I am more than proud of him. For hating anything medical related he has been super brave!! He is still really skinny and several nurses/Dr.s have said his nutritional levels are not very good. They even said he could not handle chemo. right now. If he was healthy enough I am pretty sure he would be getting chemo. before surgery. But that just isn't the way this is working. I am glad they are doing surgery first. I think everyone else is too. He needs this cancer out of him!!

Please say a prayer or 2 for him. He needs strength to pull through this. I have no doubt he will make it through surgery. I just hope he heals smoothly and quickly. He does not need another set back.

Love you dad! Hang in there. We are all pulling for you :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw, Heidi. Your Dad is in my prayers. He will have a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please keep me posted as to how your Dad is doing, he's in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your litte one gets better. Hopefully you survive Kayli's 1st day of school.

    ReplyDelete