Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hummus among us

I have been really trying to feed my kids healthier foods. Sometimes I get lazy and I think, "oh whatever, eat whatever." Pop-Tarts for breakfast, pbj on white bread for lunch and chicken tenders or mac and cheese for dinner. There you have it, my kids fav. things. They do eat brocolli, green beans, lima beans and cauliflower sometimes. Usually Kayli eats whatever I give her and she is always willing to try different things. Now, Laney. she doesnt like much of anything. Not even corn on the cobb! Sometimes she will eat her veggies...only sometimes and only if I am lucky.

The other day I went grocery shopping and I decided it was time to try new things. Feeling very hesitant I did buy a few items that I was hoping they'd atleast try. I bought, granola, yogurt (they already do eat yogurt but I switched to organic), hummus, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, organic salad mix (mostly for me), avocado and asparagus. Along w/ 2 different kinds of nuts, almonds and walnuts (for snacks). I aslo bought all natural whole grain bread. And whole grain pitas.

So far Laney loves the granola and yogurt (organic). Kayli does too but she like it w/ some blueberries. They both love the hummus w/ carrot sticks and pita bread. The hummus has been a huge hit. They dip a lot of veggies in it :) and it tastes great! They will both eat the whole grain bread...it is even organic! kayli loves asparagus, avocado, tomatoes and cucumbers. Laney has tried one of everything but has spit several out. The avocado made her gag to the point where I thought she was going to puke! I know some of this stuff isnt for everyone. I have never bought organic foods before. I do think they are pricey. Luckily Matt didnt say much of anything about the price...he just said, "ewww this stuff is nasty!" I know I will still give them the pop-tarts, pbj's and mac-n-cheese. But hopefully they will grow up knowing there are more things out there than junk, fast-food, fried food, cookies, candy (this is how Matt eats). As for the nuts, Laney just plays with them but I can mix some into her granola. Kayli likes them...but doesnt prefer them over other things. They are a good snack for me. I love nuts...I have to since I like with 3!! HA!


Pepper (kitty) and Kayli enjoying her lunch


this plate had cucumbers and cherry tomatoes too.
She ate all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment