Sunday, August 30, 2009

Iron

Laney has been prescribed an iron supplement. Her Dr. said she is slightly anemic. 'Slightly' being the key word here. Maybe not, but I would think a lot of kids are anemic or slightly anemic. Laney just so happened to get her blood drawn to be tested for all her fevers. Anyhow, her iron supplement is called ferrous sulfate. Her dosage is 1.5 Ml 2x/day. [elemental iron 15 mg/0.6 mL] 0.6 ml is 150% RDA for someone under 4 years of age. This means she is getting 750% of her RDA of iron. And her Dr. also told me to keep giving her, her usual multivitamin, which contains 100% of her RDA of iron. Maybe I am clueless as to how this all works...but doesn't that seem like a lot of iron for such a little person?! If she was showing signs of being anemic, then maybe I could understand better. Not to mention, again, her Dr. said, "slightly anemic." At least cut the dosage in half or something?!! I am going to have to call the Dr. tomorrow to see if this is correct. On the positive side, she likes it. I mix it w/ applesauce and she takes it w/ no problem. Oh, I am just a mamma that worries too much about her wee ones! In saying that, on a scary note, iron poisoning is the most common kind of pediatric poisoning...or something like that.

Also, Kayli starts preschool tomorrow! So far she is excited and so am I. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment