Friday, August 28, 2009

blood work, works?

Today I took Laney for another set of blood work. She did wonderful, didnt wince or make a peep. Yes, I was supposed to do it about 6 weeks ago and her Dr. did not hesitate to remind me of that. But she had insurance issues that were just fixed this week. Anyway, I posted earlier in the week about Laney having another fever. She was over this fever late Wed. So I thought it would be safe to get her blood work done since she wasn't sick anymore. I wasn't too worried about it but then the Dr. called with her results. She is still slightly anemic. Her ESR was elevated. White blood cells were a hair low and the red blood cells were fine. I asked the Dr. what it could be and she said, "an elevated ESR is very nonspecific finding. There are many things that cause that." Of course I asked about cancer and she said that her blood work doesn't show that, but she wants to rule everything out. So what are we doing? Repeating blood tests in 6wks. And I bet it will be the same ones CBC, anemia and Elevated ESR. I will admit, I dont think it can be something 'major', (like cancer). Since she has been getting this since 8 months old. And it is clockworked, every 4-6 wks. And she has never had any other symptoms. Ok, well sometimes her throat was a little irritated so they did a strep test and that always came back neg. I am at my wits end w/ this. I looked online many times and the Periodic Fever Syndrome fits Laney to a T. The Dr. said that could very well be what she has. But I also found that being anemic causes elevated ESR. Fevers cause elevated ESR (she just got over hers on Wed. maybe that is why it was elevated, still) and viruses cause low wbc. Everything fits together but I know there is more to the story. I want to know why she gets the fevers. Even if there is nothing to do for her, I need to know WHY?!

I am so stressed about everything lately. I hate seeing my baby sick. I hate knowing there is something going on in her little body that is causing these fevers. I just hope and pray that it is something more on the simple side. Sometimes it amazes me how Dr. just watch and wait for everything. Then again, what else can they do?Maybe I should be more 'proactive' about it.
see, she's not a sickly girl! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment