Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Miracle

My mom and I were at the hospital visiting w/ my dad this eve. When we arrived he was sitting in bed, watching TV. His nose tube that went into his belly was gone. His hair and face were washed. He looked great and I was very happy w/ what I saw. I felt relieved! His nurse came in and emptied his catheter drain...kidneys are fully functioning, still. He was drinking water. And was told tomorrow he can start on jello and more clear liquids. This also made me very happy to hear all this!! I felt, that after I left the hospital I could maybe get a good night sleep and not worry so much about my dad. Not worry about how much pain he is in. How he is holding up being in the hospital, again. How he is progressing. How lonely he must feel just sitting there all day mostly by himself. I was pleased and knew his road to recovery was really beginning.

After being there about 30 mins. Dr Tiru (I love this man) came in the room and shut the door. He looked right at my dad and said, "I have GOOD news for you. You have no cancer." Astonished and shocked we listened to him explain that he had diverticulitis. He said he has never seen anything like it before. He is amazed that the mass in his colon was that large and it was all scar tissue that formed. His sigmoid colon was blocked completely (they couldn't even get the colonoscope passed it). Not to mention it was pressing on his small intestine and caused a fistula. In return, that is what caused the abscess in the first place! Dr. Tiru said that they double checked everything to make sure they didn't miss something. And not a sign of cancer was found. His lymph nodes were swollen because of infection. I felt like I was in a movie. One that you watch and at the end you say to yourself, "that was good, but stuff like that just doesn't happen. It's too good to be true." Dr. Tiru said all the Dr.'s that were in on his case were amazed. It looked like cancer and felt like cancer. They all saw the Cat Scan and MRI. They saw how sick my dad looked. And they all said it was cancer. When Dr.'s are amazed...you know it is amazing!

At that moment my dad had tears in his eyes. As did my mom and I. Dr. Tiru hugged my mom and dad. He said they just have to get my dad better/healed now. His nutrition level needs to be higher so he will stay on TPN for a little longer.

I am overjoyed at all of this. I am so grateful for what I have witnessed...a true miracle. But I am more grateful that my dad will not have to go through any more. The tough stuff is done with. I hope he heals quickly.

I love you dad! I am so proud of you for going through this! I hope you realize you are a product of a miracle!

1 comment: