Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lets just vent a little...

I do not know how many of you get frustrated easily. But I know I do! It is something that I am aware I need to work on. Especially with my children. From the minute I wake up each day, all I hear is, "I want this or that or anything in between" from my kids. Some day I deal better but other days, like today, I could just explode I get so mad. Being a mom means putting all your wants, desires and most of the time, needs aside until it is convenient for everyone else. I hate saying this because it is so selfish. But that just bugs me sometimes. I know I am selfish and I always have been. I clearly remember, before I had kids...when someone would ask me if I wanted children after marriage and all that jazz...I would say, "I dont know, I am too selfish for kids." My five year old, Kayli, is the queen of asking for things. Matt and I have tried time and time again to explain to her that you can always get what you want. And you shouldnt always ask for things...she asks for unattainable things all the time. There are times, when I hear one of them ask for more juice or a snack and I find myself cringing because all I want to do is sit and not hear anyone ask me for things. I do think this is wrong of me because, I am their mom and thats what moms do. DO any of you have this issue too? Or is it just me? But then there are times like today, as soon I opened my eyes at 6am, Kayli was right there and asked me if we could go to Dutch Wonderland. I said, "no, we have already been there this summer." I did not say it mean or snappy and she immediately threw a fit. whining, crying and thrashing around like a baby. And what did I do? I freaked on her! I was mad because she woke me up. I was mad because she asked such a silly question. And I was mad because she threw the fit. I just wonder how long it takes to get it through her head that acting that way is wrong?! I know she is young and she doesnt do it to be mean. But I swear she purposely thinks of things to ask for just to ask for something. And it usually is something that we cant do that day. Like go to the beach or to Disney World. She gets so mad when I say, "no not today...but possibly sometime" She didnt act like this before Laney was born. And Laney does throw her share of fits too. But for some reason it just really makes me mad when Kayli does it. How do you teach your kids to be grateful for what they have? How do you get them to not throw fits everytime they hear the word, "NO?" I am sure some of the blame is mine/ Matts. I dont think we raised either of our children to do this. They do not get what they want all the time. And I keep thinking that it should pass and it is just a stage. But so far it hasnt and it seems to be getting worse. Dont get me wrong, I love my kids with all my heart. I am just at a loss sometimes on what to do to get this to end. If any of you have days like this, please share! I just had to get this off my chest :)

2 comments:

  1. My kids also have a wanting problem. I tell them before we go into store to turn off their "wanters" because we are not buying anything for them.

    It drives me nuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, first off (like I told you on facebook) you are the Mom and No means No! They are not in charge. Second, I think all kids are this way and their is nothing we can do to change it but maybe change the way we react. That is hard, I know because I struggle every day with that!! No fear girlfriend, you are not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete