Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Good ol' daddy-o

Tonight my mom took my dad back to the hospital. When he had his surgery, on Tues June 30th, they didnt sew him up. The packed his incision. I am not sure exactly why. I think it is b/c they are planning on going back in (to remove the mass on his colon). He has been home since last Wed, July 8. So, 1 week. He has had a visiting nurse come out and change his bandages every day. The past couple of days I think it has been oozing. Today while I was there mowing the lawn he showed the bandages to me. I did see the gauze that it was packed w/ had a light brownish color to it. My mom ended up calling his DR when she got home from work to see if this was normal. Apparently it had a very bad odor to it and it was puffy on the one side too. YUCK! His DR. said to pack a bag and go to the hospital. My mom took him this eve. he was admitted to the ER as an emergency so he did not have to wait. They did cultures of the incision. And tonight they are doing a Catscan w/ dye to see whats causing the oozing. They think it may be his bowels. Ugh, terrible! He may need another surgery. If he does get another one I am not sure they will remove his colon mass or not. He is so weak. Literally has no energey, ever. He weighs about 150lbs. He looks terrible! I have never seen my dad this thin. And my mom said since she has known him (40 yrs) he has never looked so skinny! There is skinny and there is 'sick skinny' and he is beyond sick skinny. Although, I do not understand why they think, IF the mass is cancer, that will help him gain his strength back. It's like a no win situation. Not healthy enough for surgery but not healthy enough to keep it in there either. I can honestly say my hopes are not high. I feel so bad for my dad. He is so scared!! Some people would say, it is his fault b/c he put it off so long. And I see that perspective. But just imagine if you were in this situation he is in. No matter how or why you got there it would be scary! I know I would be scared to death. My mom is scared for my dad. I am also scared for my mom. Everything is so unknown right now. But I have a feeling actually knowing more wont help the situation. What else could a mass in his colon be? Not to mention on his sheets he has at home for the nurses to sign, under diagnosis, it says, "extensive sigmoid ca."

Please keep my dad/family in your prayers if you think of it. They are so so needed right now! He may not have physical strength, but he needs spiritual strength to guide him through this time. Like my mom always says, "your dad never claimed to be a big-mocho, brave man." He may have not gone to the DR in aeons but he is a son, a friend, a father, a husband, a grandfather, an uncle, a father-in-law, a brother, a cousin, a nephew...he is very loved. And we dont want to have to miss him too! I love you dad! I hope you can make it through this...I am praying for you, as are many others.

2 comments: